Great news for KC CX’ers: the city of Shawnee has agreed to allow a year-round CX course at Shawnee Riverfront Park.
Here’s the low down from SingleSpeed Pirate.
Great things have happened in the world of Cyclocross here in the Kansas City Metro Area. The City of Shawnee has allowed construction of a Cyclocross Training Course at the Shawnee Riverfront Park, a park that is otherwise undeveloped – with great views and the feel of being in the middle of nowhere.
How awesome is it that you cyclocross maniacs can actually train ON a CX course, and not only the road or a trainer? This is a great opportunity for the cycling community and we are totally psyched to make this happen, for YOU.
- The Course is open during normal posted park hours (daylight – 10 p.m.).
- See the maps below for directions.
- DO NOT park on the Levee.
- DO NOT park in the fields.
- Please use the designated parking area
- Pack out your trash, there are no ammenites at this park. Help keep the CX course open and the park clean.
- The course runs CLOCKWISE.
- Course starts ON the Levee at an orange wooden stake (above the parking area)
- Group rides and mock training races are allowed, please coordinate events with me at singlespeedpirate @gmail.com
- DO NOT alter the course.
- Open rain or shine.
- Course Length is 2.3 miles.
- Obstacles – Stairs/Barrier/Steep Descent/Steep Ups n Downs.
- Course is very fast.
The course is NEW and NEEDS traffic! Expect a bumpy ride until we get enough tires out there to get a line burnt-in and smoothed. Tell your friends!
And a map to Shawnee Riverfront Park: